Step 15 – Verifying all components
- Install vSphere Client in vCenter VM
- Open vSphere Client and make sure that you can login to vCenter Server.
Step 14 – Installing vCenter Server
- Attach vCenter Installation ISO to vCenter VM.
- Start vCenter Server Installation
Step 13 –Configuring ESXi Server Network Settings
- Log in to ESXi Server DCUI by pressing F2.
- Select “Configure Management Network” Option
Step 8 – Creating Openfiler VM
- Create a new VM for Openfiler. VMware Workstation does not automatically detect OS for Openfiler. Select Other Linux 2.6 kernel as I have x32 version of Openfiler. Select appropriate version according ISO image you have.
Step 2 – Creating ESXi Server VMs.
- You will need minimum of two ESXi Servers. ESXi Server which runs in VM is called “Nested ESXi”.
- Create a New Virtual Machine with Custom Mode.
I have been asked by my students how to setup the Lab Environment within VMware Workstation so many times. Although I have tried to explain as much as I can, I think it will be easier to understand if there is an instruction for how to setup. So finally I decided to write this instruction about it.
Tools you need
- Laptop/Desktop with minimum of 8GB RAM (10GB or more is preferable)
- VMware Workstation 9 ( Can be done with other editions but the instruction is based on 9)
- Windows 2003 x64 ISO
- Windows 2003 x32 ISO
- vCenter Server 5 Windows Edition ISO
- ESXi 5 ISO
- Openfiler ISO