I’ve finally decided to make another instruction on how to setup virtual lab environment for vSphere 5.5. As the previous instruction was based on vSphere 5.0 and there has been few changed to the vSphere environment setup requirement and architecture, I thought another instruction may be necessary.
Tools you need
- Laptop/Desktop with minimum of 12GB RAM (16GB or more is preferable)
- VMware Workstation 10 ( Can be done with other editions but the instruction is based on 10)
- Windows 2008 x64 ISO (This will be used by vCenter Server and Domain Controller)
- Windows 2003 x32 ISO (This can be used in Lab, you use other OS you wish)
- vCenter Server 5.5 Windows Edition ISO (I am using VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-1476387-20131201.iso)
- ESXi 5.5 ISO (I am using VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.5.0-1331820.x86_64.iso)
- Openfiler ISO (I am using openfileresa-2.99.1-x86_64-disc1.iso)
Step 15 – Verifying all components
- Install vSphere Client in vCenter VM
- Open vSphere Client and make sure that you can login to vCenter Server.
Step 14 – Installing vCenter Server
- Attach vCenter Installation ISO to vCenter VM.
- Start vCenter Server Installation
Step 13 –Configuring ESXi Server Network Settings
- Log in to ESXi Server DCUI by pressing F2.
- Select “Configure Management Network” Option
Step 8 – Creating Openfiler VM
- Create a new VM for Openfiler. VMware Workstation does not automatically detect OS for Openfiler. Select Other Linux 2.6 kernel as I have x32 version of Openfiler. Select appropriate version according ISO image you have.
Step 2 – Creating ESXi Server VMs.
- You will need minimum of two ESXi Servers. ESXi Server which runs in VM is called “Nested ESXi”.
- Create a New Virtual Machine with Custom Mode.
I have been asked by my students how to setup the Lab Environment within VMware Workstation so many times. Although I have tried to explain as much as I can, I think it will be easier to understand if there is an instruction for how to setup. So finally I decided to write this instruction about it.
Tools you need
- Laptop/Desktop with minimum of 8GB RAM (10GB or more is preferable)
- VMware Workstation 9 ( Can be done with other editions but the instruction is based on 9)
- Windows 2003 x64 ISO
- Windows 2003 x32 ISO
- vCenter Server 5 Windows Edition ISO
- ESXi 5 ISO
- Openfiler ISO